3 On-the-Go Payment Options for Small Businesses
If your business doesn’t have a physical location, how do you accept payments on-the-go? We put together three methods small businesses can accept payments while travelling.
Does your business require you to be constantly on the move?
If your business doesn’t have a physical location, then setting up a seamless on-the-go payment method for your customers is a must. Not only are upfront payments better for your cash flow, many people expect a modern payment option and will appreciate the convenience of a cashless transaction. 💸
The new payment system you pick will depend on the services you offer, the type of customers you have and what you’re willing to spend on managing payments. We put together 3 on-the-go payment options that may work best for your small business.
1. Mobile Card Readers
Lugging around a bulky and expensive card reader is no longer necessary to accept payments. Now, with new technological advancements, a small and nifty card reader is all you need. Modern mobile card readers are portable, lightweight and make it simple for customers to tap, swipe or insert their card. To work, the card reader typically needs connectivity through 3G and WiFi or Bluetooth, and a corresponding card reader app for a phone or tablet.
Here are some of the pros and cons of using mobile card readers:
- Security. Chip and PIN technology means credit card transactions are heavily encrypted so you’re guaranteed to receive payment without any disputes.
- Fast, simple transactions. Customers can pay by credit card, or Apple Pay and Google Pay.
- No physical cash. You don’t have to carry cash or deposit cash in the bank at the end of the day.
- May need a merchant account. Certain card machines need a merchant account which will require additional fees.
- Separate mobile card reader. You’ll still need to carry around an extra piece of hardware that could get lost or stolen.
- Connectivity issues. You may have trouble connecting in certain areas – although some mobile card readers work without internet.
- Costs. As well as the rental or purchase of the card machine, you need to consider set up fees, transaction fees and contract fees.
2. PayPal Business
PayPal is a well known e-money platform that recently expanded to business services. Registered business owners can sign up to PayPal Business and access features such as international payments, money transfers, cash advances, a debit Mastercard, seller and buyer protection and strict fraud protection measures.
There are two ways mobile business owners can use PayPal for on-the-go payments:
- Send an online invoice to an email account.
- Use a recommended card reader with a PayPal mobile app.
- Customers don’t need a PayPal account. You can create and send an invoice and customers click on the link and pay by credit card.
- Customers can pay directly by credit card. The card reader accepts most credit cards if you have a network or WiFi connection.
- PayPal Seller Protection Policy. Protects you from disputes that goods or services weren’t received.
- Waiting for the email invoice. PayPal email requests might also get sent to spam or promotions folder.
- Extra hardware. Again the card reader is an additional piece of hardware that you need in order to accept credit cards.
- Account freezing. PayPal may randomly freeze your account and hold funds for 180 days if it detects spikes in revenue.
- Costs. Transaction fees are some of the highest on the market, starting at 5.4% + $0.30 per transaction.
3. QR Code App
One of the best options for those accepting payments on-the-go is through QR payments. By using a QR code you can easily turn your mobile phone into a POS and start accepting payments from anywhere.
How does it work? With a service such as Pomelo Pay, all you need to do is type in the amount your customer owes on your phone and present them with a unique QR code. Your customer will then scan the QR code with their mobile phone camera and will be taken to a separate screen where they pay with Apple/Google Pay or fill in their credit card details.
The unique QR code is encrypted and only stores and digitally presents the data required for the transaction; no customer details or card information is stored. You also won’t need to be connected to the internet and can literally accept payments anywhere (yes, even the moon 🌑). Your only requirement is a Pomelo Pay account and a smartphone.
- No separate mobile card reader. All you need is a smartphone, a QR payment app and you’re good to go.
- No downtime if you misplace your phone. Just reinstall the app on another device and log in.
- Less cost involved. Only one low flat fee per transaction, no setup fees or monthly contract. At Pomelo Pay we charge 1.49% per transaction.
- More secure than cards. Information is encrypted and customer details aren’t stored with the seller or app provider.
- No connectivity issues. If you’re printing your QR code somewhere physical, you won’t need to worry about being connected to the internet to accept payments.
- Quick and painless. No more waving your card reader around searching for a good connection – you can accept payments from anywhere.
- Lack of familiarity. Customers may not be familiar with using QR codes for payment and need instruction or guidance the first time.
- Depends on a smartphone. In the unlikely event that a customer doesn’t have a smartphone with a camera app, they won’t be able to use this payment method.
Which is the best on-the-go payment option for you?
Technology is constantly evolving – so how can you keep up with the best payment services for your business? At the end of the day, the best option is always the fastest, cheapest and most cost-efficient one.
At Pomelo Pay, we believe that QR codes are the most efficient way to accept payments on-the-go. You won’t need to invest in additional hardware, you won’t have to worry about connectivity issues and your customers be assured that the payment is encrypted and their details aren’t stored anywhere.
Interested in giving Pomelo Pay a try? Download the Pomelo Pay app for free and start accepting payments from anywhere! 👇